USB mass storage mode has been one of the missing feature for the Lumia series running Windows Phone 7.5. You always need to carry Zune in your computer for you to transfer files from your Lumia. It’s somewhat a pain and USB mass storage has always been a better option for file transfer and back up.
This tutorial will let your Lumia be detected as a USB mass storage device when you plug it in to your computer.
Take note that this trick changes your computer’s registry information, so be careful to follow the steps. This works from the computer that you are currently using so if you have another pc then you have to do the same trick. (This site nor myself won’t be liable for any problems with your computer)
*Note: according to the source this will work for Images, Music & Video but any music files transferred are grouped under “Unkown Album”
*Before we proceed right click Device Parameters and click Export in case if something goes wrong this will restore the registry to old state
Alright, so Let’s Start!
- Open Registry Editor by typing “ regedit ” in start bar or in Run tool.
- In the Left Pane click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and find a folder tree called SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Enum and then USB.In short, the complete path should be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Enum -> USB ->VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00 -> Device Parameters
- Now, check the values under the Device Parameters.Now we will edit the registry values of those 3 highlighted above. In the right pane double-click the registry value called:
– ShowInShell and change its value from 0 to 1
– PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell and change its value from 1 to 0
– EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1
- Once the values are changed, you can now close the registry editor.
Afterwards, you can plug in your Lumia device and you should get this:
Now your Lumia device works onUSB mass storage mode. It is normal to see two folders for the Lumia device on USB mass storage mode. You can access your files on both folders. Transfer rate is fast like the usual USB transfer speed.
After using USB Mass storage mode in Lumia don’t forget to eject device before removing the usb cable.